Monday, March 18, 2013

Week Five.


 I can't believe it's already been more than a month since I left!  the time really flies out here.

   The work in Varela is really struggling.  Every time we find a new investigator, it seems that he or she disappears for the next few weeks until they forget about us.  Part of that is due to the agricultural culture out here in the interior--many of the people here are farmers who go out to the fields for weeks at a time to tend rice and cattle, and then we just happen to catch them on one of their off days.

   But the members are all really sweet.  They remind me of my grandmothers-- always kind and concerned about us and the other members.  They also cook incredibly well--we eat a lot of noodles and pizza, which is pretty humble fare that reflects their circumstances, but it's still somehow delicious every time!  :)  The next step is figuring out how we can do as well in our culinary experiments around the home...

   Right now our zone is doing a ''forty day fast'' from the things that we feel are holding us back from successful, productive missionary work (for me, that means cutting back on movie quotes and putting an end to the humming of rock music, among a variety of other silly things I tend to do that distract me from the matters at hand... yikes!).

   The country is awesome.  Green, rolling fields as far as the eye can see (the edge of the world is visible all around little Varela), blue skies uninhibited by mountains and filled with perfect marshmallow clouds, and the world's prettiest flowers and coolest bugs...  Now if only I could get my email acount to send pictures!  No worries I'll have some up soon once I've figured a few things out.

   The culture... hmmm.  Everyone is really friendly and open--talking and sipping mate (the herbal drink here that everyone is always drinking) like good old friends even with strangers with us.  Everyone has at least one dog.  They put mayonaise on everything!  Potatoes, salads, you name it.  Good thing I had taken my side of the mayo vs. miracle whip controversy years ago.

   And God loves all of them as much as you or me.  I know there is great work to be done here, and that as we lay aside the things that impede us from having an eye single to God's glory, ''fasting'' from things that matter less, we will see great blessings.
  I love you all!  ¡Nos vemos!

2 comments:

  1. Kylie, Thanks so much! That was his best, most descriptive letter yet! Love you! Aunt Debbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Aunt Debbi! :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete