Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Week Thirteen & Fourteen.

Hey everyone!
  So... A nervous mother out there may have noticed that I didn't write last week!  Well, there was a freak accident and a cherry picker (one of those big machines they use to paint or fix things in obscure, high up places) fell over onto some power lines!  The entire town and some other little towns nearby were without power for two days--of course, just during P-Day, right? haha it meant some very fun scripture study by candlelight, and some not-so-fun cold showers in the dark and eating random things left in the house because all the businesses were closed and we couldn't buy food!
  It was a fun day though.  We went around town and took pictures with things--attached are a pair of pictures I affectionately refer to as "The Field is White All Ready to Harvest," since I didn't really take missionary pictures before I left... and with some members too.  And good thing I did!  This weeks transfers were very surprising.
  I'm writing from Prosperidad, Maroñas, Montevideo, Uruguay.  It's near the city center, on the big busy highway Ruta 8, and seems to me like the polar opposite of little Varela.  Instead of concrete houses, nice wealthy buildings line the main (paved!) roads--for example, the huge business complex Zonamerica, which would look ridiculously nice even in most parts of the States.  The branch here is quite big--almost a ward, with between 40 and 50 members consistently attending meetings.  We have tons of support from the members, and are fed almost every day--also a big change.
  Our area is huge.  We take buses everywhere.  I'll keep you updated but it's been a busy week of changes.  I'm now paired up with an Elder Trejo from Mexico.  All of my favorite missionaries here are Mexicans!  Elder Marroquin, Elder Martinez, Elder Mata--just great guys, the lot of them.  Elder Trejo has a great sense of humor and I'm excited to polish up my Spanish as I work with a native Latino for the first time.  There's a piano in the chapel!  It is in horrible need of tuning, but hey--it's a piano.  I've been able to play again for the first time in months.
  I have been really struck these last few days by the importance of daily repentance.  We have the beautiful gift and opportunity to change ourselves in every moment of our lives--be it a kind thought, word, deed, or even just a righteous desire, every effort to draw nearer to the Savior changes us for the better.  There is so much I still need to improve-- I find that as a missionary, I seldom commit sins of commission-- doing things I know are wrong-- but rather sins of omission-- that is, not doing every possible thing to serve the Lord in all times and places.  But life is ever better.  Yes, I'll miss Varela, and the friends I made there.  But the days, weeks, and months to come will give me chances to apply all I learned there from Elder Griffin, Elder Barber, and the Holy Spirit in personal revelation.
  I love you all!  Have a great week,
  Elder Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment